Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up: Readathon and a Park Story.

Hey everyone-

I was planning on making one more post last night to officially call it quits on the readathon, but I just didn't have the energy. After my last update, I curled up on the couch with Matt because he wanted to watch a movie together. And yeah, I took time with my husband over reading because I just haven't seen too much of him recently. When our movie was done, I finished The Little Foxes and crashed in bed.

I did have to work this morning, so I couldn't stay up all night and still function at the park (more on the park in a minute).

Even though I finished 2 books during the course of the readathon, I don't think I was super productive. If I had the day off, I am sure that I would have read more, been more interactive, and entered more of the challenges. I need to make sure that I request future dates off so I don't get stuck like I did this time around.

I think I might do my own mini-readathon next weekend to makeup for my lack of reading yesterday. I still want to get through most of Clarissa, so I figure if I get ahead with all my school stuff, I'll be able to devote a lot of time to reading next weekend. :) We'll see how it works.

Anyway, my first day at the park was yesterday, and it was relatively uneventful. Today was also pretty boring until about 3:30, a half hour before I was supposed to clock out. A woman came to inform us there was a suspicious man in the woods and that her kids saw him burying something. Intrigued, I went down with my other supervisor to see if we could find anything. We discovered a bag buried under some leaves where the man had been, so I called the police to come take a look. I didn't want to open it, you know?

So, a police officer comes, as well as one of the full-time rangers from another park. I lead them down into the woods on the hillside where the bag is. The officer actually seemed all excited to find something good.

Imagine all of our disappointment when he opened the bag to find two water bottles, two bottles of juice, two wine glasses, a wine cork opener thing, and a bottle of Chardonnay all set in the bag full of ice. We all started laughing. Apparently our suspicious man was planning a date night of some sort...and we ruined it. We don't allow alcohol in the park, so there was no way we could leave it.

It was a funny moment and was a good way to get back into the swing of park life.

Alright, enough procrastinating for me. I have one small stack of papers left to grade, and I need to get them done! :)

6 comments:

  1. lol, awww, poor guy! I'm trying to imagine a date that involves un-burying the drinks. :D That sounds like something out of a comedic novel. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. :) I think you did great yesterday!! I'd have been frustrated to miss it for work, but I definitely would have ended up watching the movie to get in some social time, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stinks! Sounds like he had a nice date planned. Although, it's kind of an odd thing, like Amanda said. Come here honey, let's dig up our stuff and have a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's the great thing about the readathon. You can do as much or as little as you want but there's always other people participating when you are ready. I think that's why it is one of my favorite bookish events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the park story! All that build up for picnic material.

    If you ever get the chance you should check out "The Little Foxes" movie, starring Bette Davis. She is the perfect Regina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad it wasn't a body. So so glad it wasn't a body.

    lol

    ReplyDelete