Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten All Time Favorite Characters In Books.

Oh goodness, it's Tuesday, which also means that it is Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I had to create a list on today's topic, mostly because I find it nearly impossible to name ten favorite characters, but I am going to do my best to create a list.

Off I go (and these are in no particular order because the only thing harder than narrowing this down to ten is picking an actual favorite).

  1. Severus Snape from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling: I have loved Snape since the first time he came on the page in Sorcerer's Stone. I was always intrigued by his back story and why he was just so darn mean to poor Harry. And I loved how Rowling slowly developed him. I think, of all the characters in her world, that he was the best. 
  2. Lily Bart from The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton: I love Lily so much that I named a kitten after her. There is something so weak and naive about Lily to start, but as you get to know her, she acquires such a sense of strength and purpose...and I just admire that in any female character.
  3. Vardaman from As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner: I love Vardaman. And I love how he struggles to cope with the death of his mother throughout the book. I couldn't imagine being that young and losing your mother. He also has one of the best chapters I've ever read, "My mother is a fish." Read this.
  4. Lucy Snowe from Villette by Charlotte Bronte: I see a lot of myself in Lucy Snowe, which is probably why I loved the book so much as I read it. She is shy and reserved, but knows when she must speak out. I loved her quiet nature, and the way she kept secrets from everyone, even the reader!
  5. John Proctor from The Crucible by Arthur Miller: I just reread the play with my sophomore English classes, and once again, I was blown away by the power of Miller's play. I love John Proctor and his emotional outbursts-the way he chooses to passionately defend his honor and reputation. It gets me every time. (honorable mentions to Reverend Hale and Giles Corey)
  6. Ender Wiggin from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card: I am currently reading this one with my elective English class and while they are not as big of fans of Ender as I am, they still find him interesting. I always feel bad for poor Ender-born as a request of the government, forced to give up his childhood, and later called a monster. I love his development, the way he thinks, and who he chooses to become by the very end.
  7. Telemachus from The Odyssey by Homer: While I like Odysseus just fine, I really like the story of Telemachus and his journey to becoming a man. There is something so honest and interesting about his interactions with Athena and the other kings as he struggles to determine who he is in his father's shadow.
  8. Silas Marner from Silas Marner by George Eliot: I love the transformation Silas undergoes once he is responsible for someone other than himself. He is no longer allowed to be a cranky old hermit, obsessed with his money and isolation. Really, I just want to give him a big hug and tell him he's wonderful for taking in a little girl.
  9. Moby Dick from Moby-Dick by Herman Melville: I spent a lot of time with that big white whale last fall, and I really came to like the whale as a character, even though you don't meet him for a long time. There is something to be said about a large whale driving a man to the brink of insanity that makes you have to respect that whale. And I do.
  10. Isabel Archer from The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James: One of the best books I read in 2011, I just loved Isabel Archer. She was bright, vivacious, and a little bit saucy-just what I like in my heroines. But she was also vulnerable and naive, and her eventual decisions broke my heart. I don't think I'll ever forget her!

There you have it! Ten of my favorite literary characters of all time, and I didn't even get to mention Tom Sawyer, Hermoine Granger, Mr. Darcy, or any of the others I consider to be superb. Let me know who you picked!

8 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you chose an ancient Greek tragedy character in your Top Ten - excellent! (love ancient Greek plays myself...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snape is definitly one of my favorites, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to meet Isabel Archer and Lily Bart and Silas Marner. I totally agree about Lucy Snowe. And I'm curious to meet a great many of the other characters you list, including Moby Dick! I've met Ishmael, but haven't reached Ahab or Moby Dick yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices! I'm especially onboard with Silas Marner! Such an affecting little book. Really impressed me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum got a cat yesterday - she's called Lily! :) She was already called Lily, wonder if it's after Lily Bart... Either way, I am very much in need of introducing myself to Wharton, and The House of Mirth will be my first book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily Bart almost made my list, but I went with Carrie Meeber instead. I also chose Ishmael for my list, although I agree that there wouldn't be a story without the whale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific list and it shows the breadth of your reading journey! I have to agree that the White Whale is an interesting character. I put off reading Moby-Dick for years and so glad that I finally read it. I really need to read Ender's Game for my own sci-fi knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great choices! Snape, Lily, Moby Dick, all wonderful. I just started As I Lay Dying so I'm excited to get to that chapter now.

    ReplyDelete