Monday, April 2, 2012

Clarissa Update #1:

I figured I would stop in with a small update on how the first two days' reading of Clarissa has gone.

I started the behemoth yesterday while we were waiting in the airport for our flight. I managed a good 20 or so pages before we boarded the plane, and then I attempted to read some more during the flight. The problem was trying to keep the book open while we were flying. The book is HEAVY, so it kept slipping out of my grasp and slamming onto my tray table. Not a good experience.

I picked it up again this afternoon before I took a nap (haven't been sleeping well). I was on my back reading, with the book propped up on my stomach/chest. It was fine until the book slipped, slammed forward, and hit me on the face and nose. I yelped a little, since it hurt. Then I got a headache and now I am eying it warily from where I am sitting at the table in our hotel room. I think the book is best read while I am sitting up, since my hands can't seem to hold a grip on 1450 pages on one side and a mere 50 on the other. Perhaps when that evens out I'll be a bit better.

Anyway, I'm starting to doubt my ability to read the whole thing in 30 days, but I am going to keep pushing forward. I actually really like what I've read so far, so at least the content is engaging. I'm just intimidated by the size, you know?

My two main counterparts seem to be doing okay based on their Goodreads status, so maybe they'll have better luck. ;)

11 comments:

  1. I know it wouldn't count for the chunkster challenge, but this is why I use my Kindle for books like this. LOL Good luck. I hope you enjoy it so sometime I'll know to read it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarissa is the novel that got me join the e-reading world. That book is just too heavy for me to read comfortably! I'd choose the real thing any day for a 'normal' size book, but with Clarissa, it's e-book or nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning to read Gone with the Wind this year (which is 14xx pages), so thanks for your sharing, Allie. I think when the time comes, I must read it only at home (sitting on the desk like you said), and pick another lighter book for travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gone With the Wind is SO GOOD. Surprisingly good. It was a real page-turner for me, which I didn't expect. I finished it in about 10 days, I think... guess I didn't mind the size of it so much as I do with this one, because this one isn't all that exciting.

      Delete
  4. Ouch! Books can be dangerous. When I worked at a bookstore they occasionally fell on my head or right on my face. I'd never been so annoyed with literature.

    Glad to hear you're enjoying Clarissa in spite of its attempts to injure you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh this is why I love my NOOK!!!! Big books=so much easier to read. Good look on this one. I must admit, Clarissa is not a book I've ever wanted to read. Maybe you will convince me otherwise. Let us know if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! That's a whole new reason to be intimidated by big books! At least the contents are good. Good luck going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the more reason to use your e-reading device...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your description of trying to read the very heavy "Clarissa" made me laugh out loud. Some time ago I gave up reading Don Quixote after I realised it was like carrying around a brick. Maybe an eBook reader is the way to solve the problem. I'll enjoy your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're doing this! 30 days or else! YOU'RE the one who convinced me to do it, after all... so no slack from me! Lol.

    Seriously, though. My arms get so tired holding this thing up. Today I had to recline in my chair and put two pillows in my lap to prop the book on, so I wouldn't have to actually hold it up. haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you right or left handed? I'm right handed, and when I got to the end... Man, it hurt! Rest it on a pillow, makes things a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete