Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 Survey.

I'm sure you may have seen this already. This little survey is being hosted by Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner. Feel free to go over there to see what other bloggers had to say!

1. Best book of 2010?
This is an incredibly hard decision! I felt that I read some wonderful books this year. I will have to say that the three that I remember loving most this year were The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot.

2. Worst book of 2010?
I would have to say Bleak House by Charles Dickens or Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010?
This would have to go to The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. I had really high hopes for this one and it failed miserably. I think I'll give it another chance one day.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010?
I would have to say O Pioneers! by Willa Cather. I went into it prepared to hate it, but ended up loving it! Always give authors a second chance!

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010?
I lent my mom Washington Square by Henry James to read shortly after I finished it because I thought she would enjoy it (nearly a year later she still has it and hasn't read it). I've also recommended the Holmes novels and stories as well as The Dollmaker by Arnow.

6. Best series you discovered in 2010?
I suppose I would have to say the Holmes stories, since they are the only "Series" I have read this year.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010?
There are so many that I think I am in love with! To name a few new favorites: Maugham, Cather, James, Charlotte and Emily Bronte, and Hardy. All will make repeat appearances in the future I'm sure!

8. Most hilarious read of 2010?
Well, trying to remember....I remember laughing a lot through The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I love Tom and want a son just like him.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?
This is probably the hardest question! Like I said, I read a lot of wonderful novels this year. I did read Mockingjay by Collins in a matter of a few hours, but I was also hooked on The Mill on the Floss, Alias Grace, and Persuasion in much the same way!

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?
Well, considering I read mostly classics, I was anticipating a lot of great classic literature! But I'd be lying to say I wasn't super excited to read Mockingjay the day it came out.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?
I really loved the edition of Gone with the Wind I read this year! Simply stunning!















12. Most memorable character in 2010?
Oh goodness! I would have to just list a bunch-Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, Sherlock Holmes from all of his stories and novels, Lucy Snowe from Villette, and Vardaman from As I Lay Dying to name a few!

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?
SUCH A HARD DECISION! I would have to say its a tie between my top three books up there: The Dollmaker, The Mill on the Floss, and The Brothers Karamazov.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010?
Again I have to give props to The Dollmaker. It was simply beautiful. I STILL think about it and I read it last January.

15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read?
All of them? Perhaps it would be better to say Lolita or Persuasion.

Here's to a wonderful 2011!!

12 comments:

  1. You are literally the only person I know who liked The Brothers Karamazov. It gives me hope that maybe I might want to read it one day, though probably not any time soon...

    I post my best-of survey and list tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really need to read The Dollmaker. It's going on the list. I was incredibly surprised by O Pioneers! too. I thought it would be dry and boring and it was one of my favorite books I read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of The Dollmaker, but I'll definitely check it out. I'm currently halfway through Lolita. I'll probably finish it in 2011 since my brain is having a hard time processing its beauty and creepiness simultaneously. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that edition of Gone With The Wind!

    Bleak House was a DNF for me. I think I would have liked it more though, had I read it in physical form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not the only person who loves The Brothers Karamazov--I've only read it once, but few books have moved me as much as it did. Seeing that you have such good taste, I'm going to have to look up some of your other favorites, like The Dollmaker.

    (Cather always surprises me as well. Maybe it's the subject matter that makes it sound dry, but she always holds my interest.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started Washington Square just before Christmas and had to put it aside. Sorry-I will try and finish it this week so I can join in on your read alongs.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. We both read that same edition of Gone With the Wind this year. I guess I'm more of a barbarian 'cause I don't remember how beautiful the cover was, just how dang heavy the book was when I held it up while reading in bed last winter. :-)

    I thought Washington Square was great too. It was in the same book of Henry James stories that included The Turn of the Screw (which was a selection of my book club) and I ended up reading it out of momentum. I'm so glad I did. Also of note is that on my digital cable service (I live in Comcast territory) there's been a movie adaptation that's been shown a lot lately starring none other than Jennifer Jason Leigh as the daughter. It actually wasn't that bad... :-)

    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a very pretty cover of Gone With the Wind. My copy is a tie-in edition with the movie and nowhere near as pretty. Sounds like I really need to look into The Dollmaker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing classics for most of your answers! I realize that's what you're primarily reading, but it inspires me for my own classics project. Hopefully my end-of-2011 list will include more classics than my 2010 one does. Based on your survey answers, I'm adding The Mill on the Floss to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't finish Bleak House! I will try again but I don't have high hopes. lol

    Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely must get to The Mill on the Floss next year! Happy reading in 2011, Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw so many I want to read NOW. I ordered a copy of THE MILL ON THE FLOSS but the order was just cancelled today and my book buying ban has just begun :(

    Aren't the classics great? Aren't you enjoying your project? Even if we do have opposite tastes (I don't like Holmes and I'm looking forward to Bleak House, lol)

    ReplyDelete