The 2011 TBR Challenge is hosted by Adam over at Roof Beam Reader. Here is his explanation of the challenge:
To finally read 12 books from your "to be read" pile, within 12 months.
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or "To Be Read" list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2010 or later (any book published in the year 2009 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile - I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the "can't get through" pile.
2. To be eligible, you must sign-up with Mr. Linky below - link to your list (so create it ahead of time!) and add updated links to each book's review. Every listed book must be completed and must be reviewed in order to count as completed.
3. Your list must be posted by Friday, December 31st, 2010.
4. Leave comments on this post as you go along, to update us on your status. Come back here if/when you complete this challenge and leave a comment indicating that you CONQUERED YOUR 2011 TBR LIST! Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from either Amazon.com or The Book Depository!
5. There may be mini-challenge "check-ins" throughout 2011, to award and recognize those participants who are progressing through the challenge, such as a "Spring Break Check-In!" or a "6 Month Pit Stop!" Participants who are making equal progress to-date (6 books at the 6 month check-in, for example) could win a prize!
6. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published pre-2010!
*Note - You can edit your list through Dec. 31st. As of 1/1/2011, the posted list needs to be final. Also, you can read the books on your list in any order; they do not need to be read in the order you have them listed. :)
Alright, sounds fun, doesn't it?
I have put a lot of thought into my list. I wanted to select 12 books (and 2 alternates) that I really want to get to in 2011. None of them are going to be books for other challenges, and they aren't books for my readalongs. I also tried to choose a few books that I am not so excited about, but need to read. You'll understand when you see the list. :)
My Chosen 12 Books:
- Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
- Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad
- Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
- Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
- The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
- Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
- The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
- The Dubliners by James Joyce
- Wise Blood by Flannery O'Conner
- Pamela by Samuel Richardson
- Ceremony by Leslie Marmon
- The Once and Future King by T.H. White
- Winter in the Blood by James Welch
- Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
I think this will be a great challenge and will actually push me to get some of the...ickier...things off my list in the coming year. :)
I might have to join this, I have 220 TBR books at the moment :\ReplyDelete
I'm so glad you posted this! I didn't know about the challenge so I quickly made up a list and got it posted today. I'm excited to participate. The books on your list look great!ReplyDelete
I am super stoked that you joined the challenge with us! And, wow, what a great list! I'm a little bit jealous, actually. I've only read a couple (Power and Glory & Once and Future King) but pretty much all of these are on my TBR pile - though they didn't make it onto my challnege list this year.ReplyDelete
I loved the Graham Greene, but was a bit disappointed with the T.H. White - intereste to see your perspective on it! And I can't wait to read your reviews for the Dickens, O'Connor, Hesse, and Joyce. And James and Faulkner. Okay, all of them! haha
Good luck to you! I know I'd fail this because I simply can't make myself stick to a specific list of books, I get all squirmy!! But I do have my owned-before-2011 TBR pile now posted to help keep myself on track for reading pre-2011 books in 2011!ReplyDelete
Oh man, there's one more challenge I desperately want to join.ReplyDelete
Good luck to you! I've joined a different version of the TBR Challenge, which requires me to read twelve books from my shelves. A couple of classics have made my list as well, but none on your list are on mine.ReplyDelete
I signed up for this as well (except I cheated and listed an alternate for every book)!ReplyDelete
Allie! Your list is still one of my favorites. I'm just stopping-by to check-in on your progress for the 2011 TBR Pile Challenge - how are things going so far?! Don't forget to link your reviews to your master list. :)ReplyDelete
Also... BIG Giveaways are happening next week, and TBR Pile Challenge participants earn extra entries for linking to their lists, so be sure to visit my Giveaways section soon! ;)