Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'm Excited to Read in 2012:

It's Top Ten Tuesday day! Woot!

The lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish have this lovely meme, where bloggers count down their top ten in the week's given category!

This week's topic is the top ten books we're excited to read in 2012! I don't know about you, but I always get excited about diving into new books in the new year.

Here are the top ten books I am excited to read this year!

(In no particular order):

  1. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson: I'll be getting to this one in April, and I cannot wait to dive in to one of the world's longest novels. I have heard wonderful things, so I am pretty darn anxious for April to get here.
  2. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding: I actually started this one last year, but set it aside. It was entertaining and wonderful, so I am excited to get back to it (probably at the end of February/early March).
  3. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner: While I love Faulkner (As I Lay Dying is one of my favorite books), I've never read this one! I'm actually planning on reading two of his books this year, but I'm more excited about this one!
  4. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy: I loved both of the Tolstoy novels I've read so far, so this is one I have been thinking about for months. I know it'll be just as excellent as War and Peace, which I am rereading this year.
  5. Middlemarch by George Eliot: I adore Eliot and I haven't read this novel in ages. I probably won't have time until closer to summer, but I can't wait for this one. I might try and sneak it in earlier.
  6. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins: I was in love with The Woman in White when I read it last year, so I am determined to read more of Collins in the future. I might save this one for the fall-a good mystery is always nice that time of year!
  7. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf: I feel like I have been neglecting Woolf, so this is one I have to get to this year (it is also on a challenge list).
  8. Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy: Hardy is an author I hadn't heard of before starting my project, but he has been a wonderful surprise. I'm trying to savor his novels, and this one is my main choice for 2012.
  9. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo: I am participating in a year-long read with a group of blogger folks for this title and I am excited to get started. This is another chunky book, so I'm glad we're spreading it out!
  10. Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens: I have plans for two Dickens titles in 2012, both of which I am planning to read in February (it will be Dickens' 200th birthday). This one was supposed to be a part of my 2011 reads, but I failed miserably. Needless to say, this one WILL be read! :)
What are you excited to read this year?

19 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds like an exciting list! I really enjoyed The Sound and the Fury (I love Faulkner too) and Anna Karenina and I hope you do too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, not Richardson and Fielding! Sorry, that wasn't helpful- I clearly mean, the books of theirs that I had to read were terrible, BUT the ones you're reading could be great :).
    Also, Anna Karenina is fabulous! I definitely need to read some more Tolstoy (considering War and Peace, but argh, so long!) I hope you enjoy all your 2012 reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horray for Faulkner!! I love The Sound & The Fury. I'm halfway through Anna Karenina and love it. I adore Middlemarch and Les Mis so far. And YOU KNOW I'm excited for Clarissa!

    So many good ones! I really feel like 2012 is going to rock. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man lots of classics haha! I hope you enjoy them! Are they all re-reads?

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading The Sound and The Fury this year as well as A Light in August - love some Faulkner! You'll adore The Moonstone! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I hope you LOVE Les Miserables. I would love to read it again one day but don't know if I can do the unabridged again.

    So bummed that I'm missing out on Clarissa. Not sure why I was thinking Pamela. Too bad since Pamela is MUCH shorter!

    Happy new year Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I keep hearing all these great things about Clarissa, so I'm becoming really tempted by it, but I don't think I'll have time this year. Great idea to save The Moonstone for the fall--that's when I'm planning on reading The Woman in White. I'm also really excited it's Shakespeare month (yay!) and have some Dickens and ancient Greeks planned for this year that I'm really looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic list! I just read Anna Karenina for the first time, and loved it. And Les Mis is such an undertaking that a year sounds about right for reading it. At least, for reading it thoughtfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read The Moonstone too, and for the same reason as you. You are reading a lot of great books this year - I love Anna Karenina and I'm sure you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of good books on here. I enjoyed Anna Karenina, but I actually preferred War and Peace. I'm probably in the minority, though.

    I'll probably be reading The Moonstone and Middlemarch in 2012 also. They're both waiting for me on my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faulkner and Tolstoy are on my list for 2012 also. Great list of classics by the way! I'm curious about Moonstone after reading Woman in White last year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Sound and the Fury is really great. Loved it, especially on my second read. But, if you are used to Faulkner, you might have just as great of a first experience. Middlemarch was a great reading memory for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Moonstone is really good. I stayed up late (late late) to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Middlemarch is one I want to read again but probably won't get to this year. It was surprisingly good, wasn't it?
    The Moonstone is really good but I highly recommend Armadale if you want to read Collins at his best.
    And two Dickens in one month is brave! I'll be reading a lot of Dickens in the coming year but I'm going to need some good filler books in between. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know, I should have put Shakespeare on my list...

    I also really enjoyed The Woman in White last year and hope to read The Moonstones in 2012. Anna Karenina is on my re-read list for this year too! I really want to slow down and allow myself to get into the story this time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really excited about you reading Return of the Native too! That's one of my very favorites ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read Les Mis in 2010 and really fell in love with some of the characters. I'll look forward to reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am excited about Anna Karenina and Middlemarch too, and a couple others. I have decided that this will be the year where I FINALLY read To Kill A Mockingbird. Good luck with this year's reads!! Best wishes for your Odyssey

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Moonstone is fantastic! I read The Woman in White a couple of months ago and it's great too.

    ReplyDelete