Monday, January 9, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up for January 9, 2012: HP Marathon, Reading Goals, and an "Unofficial Vacation."

I meant to come to the library yesterday to write posts for this week, but I was feeling a little gross from all the sugar and laziness from Saturday. Instead, I went for a walk in the park with my husband, then came home to watch way too much The Big Bang Theory. It was a splendid Sunday.

But, here I am at the library, stealing their internet. We're still waiting for Matt's student loans to come in for the semester, even though he started last Tuesday, so that we can pay some bills. Yep, our internet and cable were turned off. Such is life, right? It happens.

Anyway, I'm here at the library, apparently annoying this "student" sitting at a table next to me. I should mention I was here first, and I purposefully picked a corral away from the other people because my keyboard keys are a little clacky. This butthead sat down at a table right next to me and it continually giving me dirty looks for typing. So now I am typing extra loud. :) He could have picked somewhere else to sit, right?

I have some posts to write before I go home, but I wanted to give a little update on the first week of 2012.

I have written in my journal a total of TWO times. Woohoo! :) I knew you would all be so proud. It is hard getting in the habit of writing on a daily basis, so I am shooting for a few times a week for now.

I finished three books this week, which is making my 2012 Goodreads Challenge page very happy. I finally got rid of the "You are __ books behind!" that greeted me every time I logged on last year. Gosh that was annoying!

(The "Student" just got up and is headed over to the reference desk. I wonder if he is complaining.)

Saturday was my glorious Harry Potter Marathon with a group of friends. It started out as three of us, but a few more people meandered over throughout the day. We had a great time! We didn't watch every movie. We unanimously agreed to skip the second movie because it was everyone's least favorite...

(Sorry, student came back. He glared at me.).

We also skipped most of the fourth movie and watched the highlights-the lovely scene where Ron and Harry discuss who to take to the Yule Ball and Snape bullies them a bit (Oh Alan Rickman, I love you). We also watched pieces of the Graveyard scene. We then watched 5, 6, and 7 Part 1 taking us to 1 in the morning. Everyone pooped out, so we were done. I ended up watched 7 Part 2 by myself yesterday.

It was a lot of fun, and had we watched all 8 movies, it would have been 20 hours of Harry Potter. o_O A bit much. We snacked on a lot of things and made some lovely adult beverages inspired by the movie. We all agreed the butterbeers were the best:
  • 1 shot of Buttershots (butterscotch schnapps)
  • 1 shot of Vanilla flavored vodka
  • Top off with Cream soda OR root beer (for light or dark butterbeer).
The only issue was the mount of sugar. I don't drink regular pop (soda for you Southerners), so the sugar really tore apart my stomach. Lesson learned!

Moving on..

This week I have some lofty goals. I haven't been chugging through my Shakespeare plays as quickly as I thought I would, so I need to catch up. I am planning on finishing all of the remaining Shakespeare plays on my list this month, so I have 10 to go! They don't take long to read, so I just need to get to it.

I should actually have an easy time of it since I am going on an "unofficial vacation" starting Friday morning. My younger sister, Torrie, is interning at Disney this semester. My mom and I will be driving her down this weekend, then staying in Orlando for a few days. So in addition to a 22 hour car ride going both ways, my mom and I will be spending a lot of time by the pool reading. :) I will have my computer with me, so posts will still be going up, and I will check in every day or two. I should easily get through all of my Shakespeare, plus a couple of smaller things I want to read this month as well.

For those of you participating, I hope you are having a great time reading some Shakespeare! I'm excited by everyone's enthusiasm and when I have more time (probably in Florida), I will make sure to catch up on your posts!

(and student just packed up his stuff and left. He glared at me.).

I hope you all have a wonderful reading week!

19 comments:

  1. The "student" makes me laugh! When I've been in the library recently, it seems like there's usually enough talking going on to mask out my own clacky keyboard. (Sometimes on cell phones!)

    I wondered if you'd make it through all 20 hours of Harry Potter. I don't think I could, not in that short of a time frame. I'd be perfectly fine with skipping the 2nd movie, too. The universal least favorite?

    Have fun reading Shakespeare this week. I'm not as far as I'd like either, but hopefully I'll have a chance to get caught up soon. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could participate in Shakespeare Reading Month, but alas January is a busy work month that fries my brain. I was looking at your Shakespeare book list and I believe I have "Will In the World" and Harold Bloom's "Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human" somewhere on my shelves. I've been wanting to read all of his plays as well..been slowly collecting the Arden editions. :)

    What is Matt studying?

    I love Big Bang Theory too! It's one of those shows that even if there's a repeat, I will watch it. ("I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.") Same goes for Gilmore Girls. I still need to get Harry Potter #7 Part 2. Definitely would love to watch them all again as well as re-read all of the books...some day.

    Good luck with the rest of your Shakespeare project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the case of the glaring student! I hope he buzzed off.

    Good luck to you reading through the rest of your Shakespeare. It's on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from upstate New York and we call it soda here. :)

    The Harry Potter marathon is on my list of things to do this year. I'm going to save your butterbeer recipe for the occasion.

    Enjoy your trip to Orlando and best of luck to your sister on her internship! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, the glaring student commentary is cracking me up. (I almost said cracking my s word up and I wasn't sure if I can swear on your blog? Anyway, I digress)

    Have fun in Orlando and good luck on the road trip/reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. 22 hours in a car sounds like a long long long ride...ouch!
    Enjoy your time at Disney :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, I love reading the student saga all through this post. :D

    Movies 2 and 4 are my least favorite to watch. I hate the 3rd movie because they changed it so much, but for some reason I like watching it. No idea how to explain that one... :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My roommate and I are planning our own HP movie marathon; she's reading the books for the first time and has never seen the films! It shall be epic.

    Good luck with your reading--glad to hear that it's successful so far this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about all the typos! I had a hard time concentrating on the post with angry student glaring at me. :)

    Allie (written from my phone)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing like a road trip for getting some reading done!

    And yes...you were there first so angry student just needs to deal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a lot of fun watching Harry Potter! My sisters are still in high school and they regularly have HP marathons, but they'll spread them all out over a weekend. I'm sure they've tried to watch them all in one day. Enjoy your trip down to Florida and enjoy your extra reading time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your butterbeer recipe! I'm with you though, I don't drink soft drinks/soda/nor pop so I can see where it would send you into sugar rush

    love the commentary on the angry student! Why is it that people will do that - sit down right beside you and then get mad when you continue to type...people never cease to astound me

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to college in Orlando and am currently visiting family in my hometown about an hour south (Melbourne). Welcome to Florida in advance! The weather is quite lovely this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE Alan Rickman! Even when he's being really mean (which means it must be true love).
    Enjoy your reading holiday. I'd pretty much kill for one right now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you intersect this post with references to scowling student guy. :D

    Sorry about the Internet/cable!! That must be frustrating. That's happened to my brother a couple times, while waiting on student loan checks. At least you still have heat, right? :-)

    Sounds like you've made some awesome reading progress this week! And a Harry Potter marathon sounds fun! (Theough I've never read Harry Potter, so if I was going to do it, it'd be a Jane Austen adaptions marathon, including Becoming Jane. ;-)

    Have a great week, Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the "butterbeer" recipe! Now I want to modify my favorite butterball shots (1/2 buttershots, 1/2 baileys) into a butterbeer! Have fun in Florida! You might be the only person I've ever known to read Shakespeare by the pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for all the reading you're doing. With a 22 hour car trip in your near future I'd say that can only improve. Enjoy the reading opportunities and good luck to your sister :)
    I laughed a little at The Glaring Student Who Glared. You were already sitting there and yet he chose to sit next to you and your computer.
    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! Student drama was too funny. I always wish I was the type of person who could keep a straight face and do weird things like talk to myself (think The Middle) or start twitching.

    ReplyDelete