Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Authors I Wish Would Write Another Book.


I am pretty darn excited about this week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic: Top Ten Authors I Wish Would Write Another Book. Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the wonderful folks over at The Broke and the Bookish.

As a classics blogger, I know there will come a day when I am out of books to read by certain authors. What will I do then? That is too scary to think about, so for now, I will give you my dream list of authors that I want one more book from!

In no particular order...

  1. J.K. Rowling: Are you surprised this isn't a classics writer? Don't be. I love the Harry Potter books, and I have been waiting anxiously for Rowling to announce another series...book...something! I don't know if we'll ever seen another novel by Rowling, but here is my official request for one.
  2. Jane Austen: I still have a couple of pieces by Austen I haven't read yet, but I have finished the big 6. I would love to have one more novel by her...from her later years. I wonder what it would sound like!
  3. Charlotte Bronte: Again, I have a couple more to read, but this is another author who I would love more work from. Jane Eyre was amazing and Villette blew me away. Like Austen, I would want something from when she was older.
  4. Emily Bronte: Sadly, I have read (and loved) the only novel by Emily. It was tragic and beautiful, and I think that one more from her would be an amazing addition to her legacy.
  5. Homer: Okay, technically Homer didn't write down The Odyssey or The Illiad, but this is MY fantasy, so I can dream. I would love one more epic poem by Homer so that I can geek out a bit more on my Greek Literature.
  6. J.R.R. Tolkien: I have a few of his pieces to read still, but I would love another long epic like The Lord of the Rings.
  7. William Shakespeare: I am actually going to be quite picky and request a copy of The Tragedy of Cardenio, the lost play that WASN'T put into the First Folio.
  8. Harper Lee: Yes, To Kill a Mockingbird is phenomenal, but why hasn't Lee published anything else? She mastered such skill in that novel and created such lovable characters...I would love another novel by Lee.
  9. Herman Melville: I truly think Melville was ahead of his time. I would love to see another novel from him-in the scope of Moby-Dick.
  10. Edith Wharton: I am slowly running out of novels to read by one of my favorite authors...I would love just one more, written just for me. :)
What about you? What authors do you want another book from?

20 comments:

  1. This is a good topic. I hope Rowling DOES decide to write something else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with basically everyone on your list! More Shakespeare would be incredible... Also, Harper Lee apparently said that she 'said everything that she wanted to say' in To Kill a Mockingbird, which is fair enough for her, but the rest of us need more of her genius, I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices! I had a hard time with this question because I'm a bit of a reading tart, so I discussed around the topic instead. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tolkien, Austen, and Lee are on my list as well. I guess if you write one (or two or more) great stories, you can't escape people wanting more. And I can't believe I forgot Rowling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you included Homer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with every author on your list. I am a huge Wharton fan and would have loved to have another book written by her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love Rowling to release something else too, but I doubt she will, especially now she has the website.

    I loved Villette too, such a great book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome picks! I knew you'd say Austen and Wharton. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you imagine the pressure Rowling must feel to write...is is possible to write under that amount of pressure? I actually feel a little sorry for her...not too sorry, mind you.
    Harper Lee is on my list as well...what a talent...one book...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty sure I could just copy your list to make mine. :) Minus the Melville. I just can't get into him. I've read Billy Budd, Moby Dick and Bartleby the Scrivner and just don't like him. Rowling, the Brontes and Austen though? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping that Rowling can do something just as extraordinary as HP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll admit that I'm still putting off reading Emma because I don't want to be "done" with Jane Austen. There will always be re-reads but they just aren't the same as experiencing her words for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I haven't read #s 9 & 10 so I can't agree or disagree with them, but otherwise I'd agree with every other number on your list. Heck, for Austen I'd love for her to even have completed Sanditon and The Watsons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could go for more Melville for sure. I just reread Bartelby the Scrivener today and it was awesome and funny, just as I remembered. I would love a little more Mary Shelley as well in the realm of the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how I left Rowling off my list. I would love another book from her. Lee and Austen made it on mine, but I should have added Charolette Bronte as well... and Wharton, so many great authors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sigh. Edith Wharton didn't write near enough books for me either. Although I couldn't get into "The Custom of the Country" so maybe it's a good thing she stopped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agreed with pretty much everything. I'd love to see more books from the Brontës, Austen and Homer especially. And I'm not sure what lengths I would go to for yet another Oscar Wilde or Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would only put two names on this list (each of them 5 times?).

    J.K. Rowling, yes.

    And J.D. SALINGER.

    Where's your Salinger?!

    We need more Salinger...I need more Salinger. It's out there, I know it. Unpublished. Hidden. Locked up. I will find it, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am with you on Harper Lee. And Cardenio. How sad it was lost...

    ReplyDelete