Sunday, January 29, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up for January 29, 2012: Plans and Some Book Loot.

It has been a bit of a crazy week. It wasn't that I had a lot to do. Since it was exam week in the districts I sub for, I had no sub jobs. But I feel a little drained and lazy. I guess that is what happens when you don't work with a normal schedule!

I have been making some progress on some of my goals for 2012. I started watching what I'm eating this week-making healthier choices and monitoring my calorie intake. I haven't decided if I am going to go on a "diet." I find that once I restrict my food options too much, I cheat. Instead, I want to have a healthier relationship with food, and I think that comes with watching what I am eating and how much. For right now, I am simply looking at calorie intake. I'll let you know what I decide in the future.

I also cooked three times this week-which believe me, is a BIG deal. I'm not the best cook, but I am slowly learning some new recipes and trying to be a little more proactive with my own eating. :) Speaking of-do you guys have any good, easy, and healthy recipes for me? I would love to pick your brains.

Anyway, I am gearing up for a productive February. I'm going to wrap up Shakespeare Reading Month on February 10, so I need to finish the last couple of items and posts I have planned for the event. I'm also participating in a Roots Readalong hosted by the lovely Christina at Reading Thru the Night. If you're interested, you should go sign up! I'm also planning on immersing myself in some Dickens, so we'll see how that goes. :)

Matt surprised me yesterday by taking me out to breakfast and then to the library for their used book sale! I had completely forgotten about it, so I was really excited.

Funny thing was, when I was scouring the classics section, I already owned most of them. :) I suppose that's a good problem to have, right? I did find some things, including some old editions that are pretty cool. Here is a look at what I brought home with me for $6 (It was their 50% off day)!


Lots of good things! I was really excited by the Twain collection, as well as the paper copy of Volpone by Ben Jonson (I am going to read it to round out Shakespeare Reading Month since he was a contemporary of Shakespeare's!). I also did a happy dance when I found that complete collection of Thomas Hardy's poetry! Hardy always believed himself to be a better poet than a novelist, so I snatched that book right up. :)

Well, I have some more reading to do and quite a few posts to write. I hope you all had a lovely reading week!

10 comments:

  1. I generally think diets are a bad idea - I just live by the mantra "everything in moderation" when it comes to food.

    I cook meals from scratch every day and it's taken me a long time to get to that point. When I first started out, Jamie Oliver's 'Ministry of Food' cookbook was practically my bible - it's written for the absolute beginner and doesn't take anything for granted - it even explains how to boil an egg and chop your vegetables. I don't know if it's widely available where you are but if it has, snap up a copy. There's a good variety of simple dishes that are easy to make and turn out delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever looked at intuitive eating? It's a great way to not diet but to not take in too many calories, without ever obsessing about calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been keeping track of calories as well and have some dishes that are staples in my house. I'll e-mail you sometime this week. Do you have a crockpot? It's a savior for me.

    And you know, not working and being in a funk (i.e. entirely different from not working cuz your on vacation) is EXHAUSTING. It's understandable that you're a bit out of it. Stress is one of the biggest draining factors ever. Keep pursuing your goal though. I know that these are the toughest times ever in education, but your ideals and passions is what is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff, Allie! I'm working on making healthier choices, too. I get stuck eating out at work sometimes, especially if I have to work late unexpectedly. I've been doing more research into what healthy choices I can make if I'm forced to eat out. I also have been trying to cook more, and I'm following several cooking blogs that post healthier recipes.

    Great haul at the book sale! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had an excellent shopping trip :) I think cooking for yourself and knowing exactly what you're putting into your food is one of the best healthy changes you can make. I know that I often find myself eating out so much, just because I'm lazy. I am trying to cook for myself and bring leftovers to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cooking. I try to cook a one or two big meals a week and eat mostly leftovers. It cuts down on grocery bills and helps me monitor what I eat and how much. I never stick to diets either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried stir-fry recipes? They're quick, easy and healthy... my 'go to' recipes for extra crazy days. Looks like good shopping at the book sale, too. Matt is so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you use, or have you considered cookbooks? Cooking Light has a couple that not only offer healthy recipes, but--and this is the important part--fast and easy. (Fresh Food Fast is a good one.)

    It looks like you have a nice book haul. I have a couple books on my list that I'd like to get but I haven't made it to a bookstore yet...

    A lovely reading week to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was nice of Matt! :) I can't wait to see what you think of Volpone I need to read some Marlowe.

    Great loot, Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not really a cook but I do force myself to cook for my family every night. My husband has refined tastes in food, and I've experienced satisfaction in learning to cook for his sake. There is something satisfying in figuring out the mystery of how to make a mediocre meal into a fantastic one: what is this missing? Salt? More spices? Something else?

    I learned to cook from my husband, who loves cooking. But then, of course, once my son got here and we needed REGULAR meals, I had to do the cooking since my hubs doesn't get home until 7 p.m. I lately have been doing more lazy things that I'm familiar with: stir fry, pasta with parmasean/alfredo sauce, mac and cheese (the real thing; I don't like Kraft dinner), spaghetti. (blame it on pregnancy?) So I am not very creative with cooking ideas. But every now and then I get a few cook books from the library and challenge myself to try at least three new recipes that week. (Watch Rachel Ray or pick up a 30 minute meals cookbook. She makes it look so easy -- and it really isn't that hard.)

    I'm getting better, little by little. I figure it's something I have 50 years to figure out. Good luck to you as you find your comfort zone in the kitchen -- and step out side of it every now and then...

    ReplyDelete